Avoid these latest scams in the Philippines! We update these safety advisories regularly to share with users what to look out for and how to protect themselves.
If you come across any suspicious accounts, please report it to our team.
[NEW! 2024] 🚨Reminders for Ensuring Secure Transactions🚨
- Communication Vigilance:
- Exercise caution when receiving calls or text messages, especially those containing links.
- Avoid responding to such communications to prevent potential security risks or phishing attempts.
- Stay alert to protect personal information and financial details from unauthorized access.
- Refrain from redirecting transactions outside the designated platform for enhanced safety.
- Ensure all financial activities stay within the secure platform.
- Following these guidelines helps maintain the integrity of transactions and safeguards against potential fraudulent activities. Stay proactive in upholding these security measures to ensure a secure and reliable user experience.
- [NEW! 2023] 🛡️Beware of Phishing Scams🛡️ Phishing attacks continually arise. Stay vigilant and protect yourself from malicious attacks. SMS phishing, is a type of phishing attack that involves sending a sms message asking to verify the payment that the user sent.
⚠️ Safety tips to protect yourself from this type of scam:
- Be vigilant and do not share all your personal information with anyone.
- Do not click any suspicious links in text messages from unknown or untrusted resources.
- Be cautious of unexpected messages, especially those which convey a sense of urgency or ask sensitive information.
- Verify the source if a message is a suspicious one, verify the information by contacting the supposed sender through a trusted method, such as their official website.
- Use a Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) wherever possible, it adds an extra layer of security to your accounts.
- Keep your mobile phones software updated, this ensures an extra layer of security as the device's operating system and applications are up to date, often including security patches.
- Educate yourself, stay informed about common phishing scams and be aware of the latest phishing scams.
- [March 2022] Be careful when purchasing electronic items such as laptop, gadgets and PC parts! While scammers might have the item on hand and appear knowledgeable about the product, some may not proceed to deliver it after the payment is received. Scammers typically only partially show and not fully expose the whole postage slip, as they photocopy the same slip to use to scam other buyers. One tip is to always check the postage slip provided by the seller, and ensure that the tracking number, your name and address are correct.
- [February 2022] Some scammers will include phone numbers in the listing description and try to persuade buyers to chat with them outside of Carousell's platform. Always remember, however, to keep all communication with other sellers or buyers within the platform! Avoid communicating on external platforms such as Facebook or WhatsApp. This ensures all relevant transaction records are available to facilitate subsequent investigation and dispute resolution should the need arise.
- [December 2021 - January 2022] Don't drop your guard just because the user you are transacting with is a long-time seller and is using an old account! Scammers may still use older accounts to list, particularly higher value luxury items such as shoes, handbags, accessories and clothing. We recommend buyers request for more photos of the item before making the purchase. When making payment to the user, also beware of scammers who just send back account images rather than typing in chat.