What is identity verification?
At Carousell, we’re continuously looking at new ways to improve the security of our marketplace. By introducing identity verification for our users, this helps us to create a trusted marketplace between buyers and sellers, and protect our users against fraudulent behaviour.
How does it work?
Users can verify their identities to increase the credibility of their account by using the MyInfo service (login via SingPass). Follow these steps to verify your identity:
- Go to the “Me” tab
- Select “Verified” or “Unverified” on the main page
- Select “Verify your Identity”
- Complete the process to receive a badge for identity verification
Do note that we will not be storing any NRIC/FIN numbers during the identity verification process.
Is this available for all users?
This feature is only available for users based in Singapore.
- What personal information will be provided when I verify my identity?
We will be retrieving information from MyInfo that contains your Principal Name, Date of Birth and Registered Address.
- Will this be in accordance with the revised guidelines on the collection of NRIC numbers?
We will not be collecting or storing any NRIC numbers through the identity verification process.
- How will my information be used?
- Will my information be shared with other Carousell users?
We will never share your information with anyone else who uses Carousell.
- Is it definitely safe to transaction with a user who has verified his/her identity?
Verification of identity for a user does not provide complete assurance that transacting with the user is safe. You are advised to protect yourself by following our safety tips and using CarouPay.